Sunday 22 December 2013

Christmas Rush

Last week, I met my recently added and enforced word count target with aplomb. I made it so effortlessly that I considered raising the target immediately, thinking that I could speed up the progress and buy myself more time for editing. I am glad that I didn't, for two reasons.
The first reason is that I would have struggled to meet the target this week, and most likely next week too. It would have been a huge blow to my confidence if I couldn't hit my self-imposed goals on only the second week of trying. I blame Christmas, of course, as it has leeched time from me like a benevolent parasite.
The second reason is that, in order to try and hit the targets, I may have slipped in my own standards just to fill the pages. I think I would prefer to write the way I want to write, instead of adding unnecessary descriptions and dialogues to beef up the passages in the story.
So, the target still stands at 1000 words each week. As writing is just a hobby for me, I think it is an acceptable amount to aim for. It is generally only one or two sessions of writing, which should be achievable, and this week I have made it by the skin of my teeth. Just over an hour to spare, and I really should be getting to bed so that I am rested for tomorrow's arduous endeavours at work (last day before the Christmas break).
27,000 words is an achievement for me. I know it pales in comparison with many, many others, but I know that I can keep going. I have to get this on paper (albeit digitally) and persevere until it is finished. I should have 28,000 before the end of the year, if I manage to keep to the target of Christmas... wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment